Natural Cold and Flu Remedies
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure … you’ve heard it a million times, but how does it practically relate to illness prevention? In short, giving the body what it needs and keeping a constant supply of nutrients will help ensure that the body can resist any pathogen it encounters.
What can you do to avoid the flu and it’s various strains? Fortunately, it is possible to protect against some cases of illness with natural remedies that boost the body’s amazing natural immune system. Do everything possible to boost your immune system with these helpful tips:
1. Optimize your Vitamin D levels to feed your natural immune response.
2. Avoid sugar and alcohol consumption that normally suppress your immunity.
3. Sleep a minimum of 7-8 hours a night.
4. Receive regular glutathione IVs to enhance your immune system dramatically.
An Oldie but a Goodie
As a young child, as soon as I started complaining of a soar throat my Mom instantly made me gargle with hot salt water. Still to this day, it’s my #1 go-to for soar throat remedies!
To combat a scratchy throat add half a teaspoon or two of salt to a glass of hot water. The salt draws out excess water in your throat’s tissues, reducing the inflammation, and clears mucous and irritants from the back of the throat. The rinse also flushes out bacteria and viruses, which may help whether you’re getting a cold or want to prevent one in the first place.
Other Home Remedies
- Garlic – This health-boosting powerhouse is naturally antibiotic, anti-fungal, and antibacterial, garlic can tackle almost any illness. For the most potent effect, finely mince 1-2 cloves of garlic and float in a small glass of water. Drink quickly — if you are sick enough, you won’t even notice the taste. Note: Pregnant women should not take more than 1 clove of garlic medicinally per day, and children often resist this remedy.
- Hot liquids – This one is pretty instinctive, but we tend to load up on hot herbal teas and hot lemon water at first sign of illness. The heat helps boost immune system and a variety of herbs can help with infection. Lemon is also a great natural source of vitamin C.
- Face steam – In a pinch, make this herbal steam with kitchen herbs. Boil 1-2 cups of water in a large pot. Remove from heat, add 2 teaspoons each of thyme, some rosemary, and oregano. Cover for 5 minutes with a lid, and then remove lid and put face directly over pot with towel covering your head to hold in the heat. Breathe in the steam as long as you can (aim for 15 minutes). This will help loosen congestion and kill viruses and bacteria in the lungs, bronchials, or sinuses.
Glutathione is Mother Nature’s most powerful antioxidant that the body produces innately. But stress, poor diet, lack of sleep, and exposure to the common cold and flu will significantly impair the body’s own production.
To supercharge your immune system and prevent the flu naturally, schedule your appointment today.